Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Remembering Garrison...

Yesterday(9/10) was National Suicide Prevention day and of course, as Americans we will forever remember today(9/11).  While I knew no one personally that suffered and died that day, my heart aches for their families.  I do know someone quite personally who committed suicide because I gave birth to him.  To even wrap my mind around the many families who continue to live life without their loved ones is just heart breaking to contemplate.  We continue to ache and feel the loss of Garrison.  It continues to be a blessing to us as people share things about him with us.  Sure we might cry--but we do because we realize the love and impact he had on others.
Last week a dear friend reminded me of the visionary that he was.  Yesterday as we were packing up our home, we came across papers from High School.  He was spot on about many things in Economics and Politics.(This was 6 or 7 years ago)  Did people always agree with Garrison's view-points?  No!   But one thing I admired about my son is that he was not afraid to express them.  I will never forget the night that Matthew (Ryan) Woods stayed overnight in Junior High and he and Garrison were practicing apologetics...that was my boy!
Love your family today--squeeze them a little tighter as you hug them good-bye--tell them what you appreciate about them.  I never knew that my last phone conversation with Garrison 4/3/2009 would end with my last words to him--"I love you, Bye!"

No comments:

Post a Comment