Friday, March 14, 2014

                                        Tulips




I've long enjoyed the tulip.  I remember them from the home I grew up in and the Pella, Iowa tulip festival.  After Garrison died they grew to become an even more favorite flower for me.  I have always loved Spring and the promise of new life after a  cold and dreary Winter. 


Tulips have a very short lived blooming season.  Long after the bulbs are planted they go on to  survive  Winter, no matter how harsh.  Then, they peak through the Spring soil. They have such sharp and bright colors--I'm guessing other flowers must envy the beauty and brilliance they possess. 


This week, as I served at a funeral of a young man from our church, I was reminded of the frailty of life.  I noticed that some of the flower arrangements had tulips in them.  I thought again of this special flower--one which lasts only a short time, but while it is in bloom, it is such a sight to behold. 


My journalism teacher in High School used to say, "Bloom where you are planted."  I've always thought that to mean that one should glorify the Lord no matter where or in what situation God has you.  Young people should not die.  It just isn't the natural order of things.  I'd like to think that their blooming seasons are ones that are extraordinarily brilliant because they were cut way too short. 


I'd like to believe that there are tulips in Heaven.  But, in the end does it really matter?  The one I can hardly wait to hold in my arms will be there and that is what matters.



No comments:

Post a Comment